Saturday, March 22, 2014

Sum 41 - Does This Look Infected?


During my early teen years, I spent a weekend at a camp for members of local 4H groups, at which we were supposed to develop leadership skills. From the start, I had found the entire idea cheesy and lame, and so I made sure to bring some tunes along with me to keep myself entertained. The main disc that accompanied me was Sum 41’s Does This Look Infected?, which I spun endlessly each evening in my bunk. However, returning to it almost a decade later, I’ve found myself unable to recall anything but the radio singles, prompting me to this time give the record a deep and thoughtful listen, to see if these tunes can sink as deeply as they did all those years ago. 
            The band’s second full-length release, Does This Look Infected? delivers an invigorating and novel concoction of the pop-punk sound that blew Sum 41 into the charts and the heavy metal influences on which the members were raised. Though power chords and catchy choruses abound, Sum 41 dips into its heavier sensibilities, adding double bass runs, drop tunings, and even some screamed vocals. Brownsound shreds his strings to shadows, seeming to play every possible note on the fretboard, while Steve-O 32 simulates a tsunami in his speedy beats and booming fills. Bizzy D explores his extensive vocal range, singing pop-driven melodies one moment before shouting angrily through the next. Capping this quartet is the humble bass stylings of Cone, who drives his lines through intricate changes and rhythms that most punk and metal bands never approach. Despite jamming in genres hardly known for their technicality, Sum 41 manages to provide fun and energetic music that is hardly formulaic.
            Between the songwriting and the equipment, Does This Look Infected? has a completely distinct flavor. With the exception of a muddy bass guitar, the overall mix is remarkable: the lows explode like cherry bombs in storm drains while the highs squeal at volumes that rival a threatened macaque. Though apparently the mix is Bizzy’s only regret for this album,[1] in my opinion the guitars especially benefit, boasting a grungy and ragged tone that has a serious metal growl. Andy Wallace’s affectation of the record’s sound perfectly complements the genre-blurring musicianship and composition, letting the band tear through its slash-beat punk riffs as easily as they pound through palm-muted metal madness. Even the layout of the songs captures the specific energy of the album, with focus equally presented in both sing-along choruses which any listener would be daft to ignore, and heavy, intricate instrumental sections that exhibit how tight this act is. No matter what song you decide to sample, there is no doubt which record that tune calls home, or what band has had the audacity to create it.
            If one song completely encapsulates the sound, energy, and approach of Does This Look Infected?, I would place my money on “Mr. Amsterdam,” which flawlessly merges every element that is Sum 41 into a rocking monster. Opening with syncopated hits, the band suddenly rolls into a circle-pit punk progression that beckons frenzy. Bizzy D takes center in this song, using an angst-driven vocal to vent his disgust with the xenophobic and whiny world in which we all resign to reside. His repetition of “I’ve said this before…”[2] at the beginning of the verses is poignant and intelligent, and the call-and-response moments between singing and screaming drive the song to incredible sonic heights. The song rides the vocals through two verses before diving into a hardcore instrumental outro loaded with sonorous drum fills and tremolo-picking that could rival most speed-metal guitarists. Sum 41 then races to the finish, halting on a dissonant and unresolved minor second, denying the listener closure and mustering a thirst for more. “Mr. Amsterdam” denies conventions in structure, notation and even feel, yet kicks ass from inception to death, a homunculus of the awesome lifeblood flowing through this record.


            Despite their relative youth and their goofy stage names, the precision with which Sum 41 performs on this record demonstrates logic and maturity, and both attributes are equally and expertly expressed in Bizzy D’s lyrics. It is apparent he has a complete handle on intelligent use of rhyme and consonance, employing feminine rhyme in the chorus of “No Brains” with the lines “I’ve had enough frustration…this dead-end situation,”[3] while riding digraph sounds in “Thanks For Nothing:” “No patience / this nation’s / obsessed with exploitation.”[4] In line with his mechanics are his topics, as he eschews well-worn teenage issues in favor of serious subject matter, including suicide and ineffective social institutions. However, he doesn’t completely abandon the humor for which Sum 41 is famous; he scathingly attacks Anna Nicole Smith in the miniature “A.N.I.C.”[5] and relives drunken forays in “Over My Head (Better Off Dead).”[6] Bizzy D uses his lyrics to explore all aspects of his life at that time, accepting his adventurous youth without denying the burgeoning adult within, letting Does This Look Infected? remain lively while flirting with the cognitive.
              In terms of responsibility and maturity, perhaps the weightiest tune on this record is the one that kicks it off. “The Hell Song,” a pop-punk drag racer and the second single off of Does This Look Infected?, is not only one of Bizzy D’s favorite tunes on the record[7], but also the vehicle for addressing a serious topic: HIV. Having written the song shortly after finding out an ex-girlfriend had contracted the virus, his lyrics carefully describe his reaction to the news, as well as the life-shattering effect it had. He observes his newfound mortality with the line “I feel I’ve come to realize / How fast life can be compromised,” while acknowledging how beyond his control the whole situation as he says “I feel so useless in this.” Despite the shocked, almost despairing tone, he attends to the idea of responsibility associated with sexually transmitted diseases as he asks “Why do things that matter the most / Never end up being what we chose?”[8] With “The Hell Song,” Bizzy D utilizes gentle metaphor and catchy melody to face a troubling reality while also asserting how he too must be held accountable for his actions and his reactions in this life.


            After again burying myself in this record’s embrace, over a decade since my first exposure, I find it easy to understand what middle-school-me found so enticing. Though this record has its indecencies—Bizzy D too often sacrifices syntax to fit in a rhyme, and the first half of “Hooch” is suspiciously reminiscent of “Boom” by P.O.D.—I have no trouble drifting in its sonic waves, and what’s more, I don’t feel dumber for having listened to it. With Does This Look Infected, Sum 41 infuses intelligence, maturity, and variety into their pop-punk moniker, providing me with rocking tunes that resound as deeply now as they did when my biggest obstacle was summer boredom and responsibility was something I could still avoid. And with each subsequent spin as I careen down my daily commute, I pray that when this record next drifts into my path, the thirty-something me will discover as much meaning and truth in it as did the boy lying on the bottom bunk, mouthing along to the worlds and drowning out the world he had yet to encounter.

Tunes to Check Out:
1) No Brains
2) Mr. Amsterdam
3) The Hell Song

1 comment:

  1. Loved Sum 41 in middle school, then they basically dropped off the radar for me until a couple years ago when I heard Jessica Kill for the first time. I rapidly caught up with their discography and I have been digging their evolution. Every album shows a step up in maturity and refinement, as well as shifts in tone, keeping them feeling fresh where other pop-punk bands leave me feeling like they've stagnated. I love the hell out of them, more so now than I even did before.

    ReplyDelete