Sunday, July 20, 2014

Song Spotlight: Soundgarden's "Like Suicide"

            In digging through my albums to find a subject for an article, many of the CDs I end up writing about are ones with which I have history. Some I’ve played almost to the point of breaking them, while others I’ve owned for years and have hardly listened past the radio singles. For records such as these, previous opinions of a younger and less-eclectic me are stuffed inside the jewel cases, and when I break out those discs to give them a true listen, I find that the new opinions and the old rarely match up. Often the songs I once adored, radio hits and catchy choruses, take a backseat to the deep cuts, where the artists weren’t afraid to experiment or embed some easter egg for the listener. And more often, the songs that I hated and misunderstood become songs I cannot stop playing, which was absolutely the case when I began spinning Soundgarden’s Superunknown.
              When I first listened to that record around the age of fourteen, there were a bunch of songs I just didn’t “get,” but none more so than the closer “Like Suicide.” Although the chorus was cool and catchy, my overall impression of the tune was a resounding meh. It was slow, Chris’ singing was drawn out and moany and lacked for the screaming power that he employed through the rest of the record, and worst of all, it was long. I didn’t understand it, and what I could understand I didn’t much care for, so I didn’t listen to it. I went years without ever tasting Superunknown in its entirety, because I knew that the final course was a drawn-out jam that took forever to get going.
            This impression of “Like Suicide” sat somewhere in my head for almost a decade, until I decided to return to the record with an open mind, and this time around, I felt as if I was hearing a completely different song. Immediately, Matt Cameron establishes a groove with his drum beat, releasing the snare and creating a more primal sound. As the guitars enter, alternating between a swelling riff and spacious chords, the song’s eerie and somber tone materializes, a perfect introduction for Chris’ soulful vocal. The song takes its time to slowly build in energy and intensity: Chris’ vocals increasingly push the volume and range upward, until Cameron flips his snare back on and smacks his drum, igniting the tune into a new level of heaviness. All of this leads up to a ripping solo from Kim Thayil, who completely melts the face of his fretboard with speedy runs and precise melodies. This lead pulls the groove all the way to the end, where the band sinks into a quiet and weighty final chorus.


              Perhaps it was my youthful naiveté that kept me from appreciating this song the first time around, but now I find “Like Suicide” to be completely fascinating. The song’s composition alone is extraordinary; with “Like Suicide,” Soundgarden avoids standard structure, delivering all the verses before building to the chorus, rather than alternating between the parts. The focus on dynamics, building the tune to the point of explosion, is brilliant and poignant, a musical background to the final breath about which the lyrics revolve. Also, the guitars’ Open-D tuning allows for a deliciously spacious timbre, creating room for Chris’ vocals to flutter about as they dive and rise. 
            Every choice this band makes for the song is well-placed and deftly executed, creating the perfect musical movement for Chris’ lyrics, which describe an incident that occurred as he was composing. According to an interview with Melody Maker, after hearing a loud thumping noise outside his house, Chris found “a beautiful female robin writhing on the ground. She’d broken her neck flying into the window.” It fell to Chris to end the creature’s suffering with a brick, immediately after which he was inspired to write “Like Suicide.”[1] Through the incident, Chris became intertwined with this bird’s final moments, and his connection with the suicidal robin bleeds into his poetry. In the first verse, he relates the discovery of his “broken gift” lying “dazed out in a garden bed / With a broken neck.” But as he ends her suffering, he becomes entangled in the experience of her death, finding a “taste so sour” in his mouth as he “wield[s] a ton of rage.” Finally, he memorializes this strange moment and strange bird that “lived like a murder” until the moment the brick fell.[2] Chris’ lyrics are morbid but poignant, and his vocal is as respectful as it is earnest. This combines with the dynamic approach of the music to create a sort of eulogy, a celebration of an uncommon death.
              Regardless of the intelligent and meticulous musical choices, the powerful inspiration stemming from the incident, the entire tune feels riddled with truth and reality. Listening to it now, I see easily how such a song could have completely eluded my young teenaged mind. Now, I find in its seven minutes so much honest connection with the concept of death, as well as the complete bewilderment it brings every time it seeps into our lives, for, as Soundgarden makes apparent, there is nothing the living understand less than death.

No comments:

Post a Comment