Sunday, March 15, 2015

Song Spotlight: The Beatles' "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"



            There are only a few songs that give me “the shakes,” whose melodies or riffs literally cause me to involuntarily shiver in delight. These songs demand my complete attention when I listen to them, forcing their way to the forefront of my consciousness and remaining there from the first tone to the last. Most of the tunes on that short list have some emotional or nostalgic connection to my life, and it is likely that those “shakes” are derived from a younger self internally knocking to the beat of the tune. But on the rare occasion, a song I’ve never given a second thought to will just pop up and slap me in the face. One such song is “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)” by The Beatles, which over the past two months has repeatedly emerged from the ether, demanding to be heard, and I find that I cannot help but heed its call. 
            Though I’d been aware of the song for years, the tolling guitars and punchy bass that define “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)” hadn’t really caught my attention until recently, when the song insisted on appearing in my shuffle almost daily. The thundering 6/8 section that is the centerpiece marches like a funeral procession; the strings meld into one dark portrait of a chord progression that defines the “heavy” in the song’s title. Betwixt these stomping choruses is inserted a gentle grooving verse, which strolls along a blues feel before stomping into Paul McCartney’s aggressive bassline. The band alternates between soft and loud, relaxed and heavy, until John Lennon’s final, throat-cracking scream of “Yeah!” drives the band into the perpetual loop of the main theme, continually adding noise and insanity before abruptly cutting off, denying the listener any semblance of resolve or finality.


            After repeatedly hearing it, I am baffled as to how I hadn’t noticed sooner the sheer force of this tune. With “I Want You (She’s So Heavy),” the band wrecks of every definition the public has since attempted to mold over them, making it everything The Beatles are usually not. The most immediate difference lies in the instrumentation; the rampant elements of freeform jazz stand as the focus of the song, while the fourteen words that form the lyrics feel more like another instrument than any language at all. Secondly, this tune is damn long, with the original master reaching just over 8 minutes.[1] But the most blatant difference is how unrepentantly dark it is, embodying a feeling that, at the time, music had yet to really touch upon. There is a remarkable contrast between the A and B sections, a haunting trudge placed against a bluesy jaunt, and the seamless way they slip into one another is almost disturbing.
            The shadow leaking from between the notes in this song douses the lyrics as well. Written by John Lennon about his love for Yoko Ono,[2] the song’s minimal lyrics somehow manage to grasp the entire spectrum inherent in the idea of love. His simple statement of “I want you / I want you so bad / It’s driving me mad” is simultaneously romantic, sexual, and creepy—the words of a husband, a lover, and a stalker all at once. And as for the line “she’s so heavy,” Lennon cryptically told Rolling Stone: “When you're drowning, you don't say, 'I would be incredibly pleased if someone would have the foresight to notice me drowning and come and help me.' You just scream."[3] With only fourteen words, John Lennon completely encompasses the ups and downs, rapture and suffering inherent in a relationship, saying the bare minimum in words so that the poignant A-B structure of the instrumentation can nail his message home.[4]
            To attack such a world-pervading concept with such complexity is a feat in itself, but what is more remarkable is how little The Beatles do to reach that echelon of consciousness in “I Want You (She’s So Heavy).” Other than a few bass flourishes marking the changes, there really is very little to the tune. Ringo Starr’s drumming is hardly more than the basics, and George’s accompaniment on guitar and synth amounts to the chord progression. Even John’s leads are little more than an embellished echo of his vocal melody. There is so little to this tune, yet it manages to encompass endless interpretations and implications, a fact that simultaneously pisses me off and leaves me in awe.
            “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)” is not a song that just slinks into my ears—it possesses me, drooling through my veins in a delightfully unsettling manner. There is a weight to every note, every whispered word, that makes my consciousness stand at attention. “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)” breaks my understanding of the world’s most well-known band, forcing me to consider them in a newer, dimmer light with every listen, and reminding me just why they, to this day, continue to command the respect of millions.

No comments:

Post a Comment