Sunday, June 21, 2015

Less Than Jake - Borders & Boundaries


            I have a long history with ska, and usually encounter no trouble enjoying the acts that perform it, but for whatever reason, Less Than Jake and I have never truly gelled. Through all of high school and college, LTJ records found their way into my hands, and I even got to see them open for Goldfinger in 2008. But they never impressed me, or even totally made sense to me. Even though they had everything a good ska act needed, and are celebrated as one of the great third-wave powerhouses, I have just never understood their music, and have never found them to be anything more than alright.
            In pondering this strange disconnect, I asked a good friend to recommend an album to reintroduce me, as he is both a huge fan and pretty knowledgeable in all things LTJ. After some careful thought, he steered me towards a copy of Borders & Boundaries, asserting that this was the best record to show me how capable this act could be. Trusting in his wisdom, I popped Borders & Boundaries into my car's CD player, and although I am still not enamored, it has certainly provided me with a new appreciation for this beloved third wave act.
            If Less Than Jake is known for anything, it is for energetic performances, and Borders & Boundaries is completely stuffed with energy. Vinnie Fiorello smashes his drum kit about in thundering slash beats, combining syncopated hits with Roger Lima's jazzy basslines. Chris Demakes' guitar is crunchy with overdrive, but his crisp tone and full chords fill out what little space the rhythm section doesn't have covered. Roger and Chris trade off vocal duties, sometimes mid-song, creating dynamic and interesting melodies to counterpoint the horn section, making Borders & Boundaries loaded with tight and lively performances and a damn fun listen from start to finish.


            Between surprisingly tight production values and driving composition, Borders & Boundaries makes for an airtight listening experience, but as one spin will tell you, it is far more a punk record than a ska one, a fact acknowledged by the band in a 2011 interview.[1] The staple elements of a traditional ska sound are rather sparse on this record; Chris rarely relies on upstroke chords and almost never turns off his distortion, and although horn players Buddy Schaub, Pete Anna, and Derron Nuhfer are full-time members of the band, their contributions only appear on half of the songs, leaving the other half to the trio of the rhythm section.
            The underdeployment or lacking contributions of the horn section in Less Than Jake has always been a source of contention for me, and it does feel like there is some unexplored melody space on this record. However, the trio of Chris, Vinnie and Roger plays as an extremely tight unit on Borders & Boundaries; their vigorous and youthful performances really drive the whole sound of the record, and as hard as it is for me to confess, they often don’t need all the horns (and Buddy admits just as much in an interview shortly after Pete Anna left)[2]. Their enmeshed playing really exudes a meaningful energy that communicates a ton all its simplicity, providing a thorough foundation upon which the horns can easily be added as ornamental pieces.


            As far as instrumentation goes, Borders & Boundaries is exciting, detailed, and definitively pop-punk, and the lyrics for the most part follow a similar vein. Most of Vinnie Fiorello’s writing is straightforward, rarely edging into poetics, which perfectly fits their style of music. However, the band has taken the time to weave an overlying theme into most of their songs, specifically that of the effects of time passing. Many of the songs take on a nostalgic feel, remembering old friends from the past like in “Mr. Chevy Celebrity” or directly invoking memories in “Suburban Myth” with lines like “I’ll show you where I lost my job / and where I got chased by the cops.”[3] But rather than wallow in the past, LTJ also takes a look at the future as it approaches; “Pete Jackson is Getting Married” analyzes the oncoming rush of adulthood in an exciting form, while “Last Hour of the Last Day of Work” dreads that same idea. Although simple, Less Than Jake completely conquers their lyrical theme of the passage of time, touching on both past and future incarnations of themselves without fixating on them.
            To my surprise (and more than a little chagrin), Borders & Boundaries is actually loaded with songs that I can’t stop spinning, but no two tunes receive more airplay from me than “Last Hour of the Last Day of Work” and “Is This Thing On?” On Fat Wreck's website, the album is described as "a display of significant growth for the band," and indeed, both of these songs present a vulnerable side of the band that I had never heard before[4]. In each tune, Chris’ emotive vocals deal with insecurity in and suspicion of the modern world, exploring how easily it is to get swept up in the surge of the future. The lyrical anxieties in each tune are reflected by the instrumentation which, while staying in the pop-punk field the band has pioneered, utilizes major rises and minor falls in the chord progressions that reflect and solidify the terror in Chris’ voice and Vinnie’s lyrics.


            With messages like "you can't second guess how to live your life,"[5] both “Is This Thing On?” and “Last Hour of the Last Day of Work” step away from the usual LTJ “gimmicky songs about our friends" feel (of which there is no shortage on Borders and Boundaries) and actually open up to the listener. This open exposure is something I did not think Less Than Jake was capable of, and knowing that they can write songs with true meaning such as these has definitely allowed me to appreciate them like never before.


            Although in no way a mind-blowing experience, Borders & Boundaries is a solid record in every way it needs to be: the music is rocking, the melodies are catchy, and even the mistakes still exude fun. It is, as Chris calls it, a record loaded with "staples" that LTJ is "still proud of to this day," and I completely understand why it is held in such high regard by both fans and the band.[6] In exploring this record, I think I have finally established the connection with Less Than Jake that I need to further explore and appreciate their catalog, to experience the records I don’t know and rediscover the ones I used to enjoy. Borders & Boundaries has become a true gateway into LTJ for me, and I would be a liar if I said I wasn’t excited to see what lies beyond.

Tunes to Check Out:
1) The Last Hour of the Last Day of Work
2) Is This Thing On?
3) Malt Liquor Tastes Better When You've Got Problems

No comments:

Post a Comment